Hi Doug,

Thanks for starting this interesting discussion.  I looked into Painted Bunting
molts earlier this winter when I started looking at the spate of e-bird reports
of vagrants from around Maryland and north.  I found at least 15 or so records
for this fall and early winter, many of them included photos or at least a
description.  All that I checked were green birds- right up until a recent
Connecticut adult male within the past couple of weeks broke the mold.
I didn’t realize, and I suspect most casual birders also don’t realize, that
even male Painted Buntings are green until their second basic plumage in their
second fall- this is true even though they are capable of breeding in their
first summer.  Per CW Thompson in The Condor:
“This is the only passerine known in which sexually mature sub adult males grow
female- like rather than adult male-like plumage during prealternate molt.”
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v093n02/p0209-p0235.pdf

This is probably a simplified description of the situation, but once I started
digging into it, I found quite a lot of interesting discussion online,
including mentions of different molt timing between east coast and western
populations.

Regards

Mike Cooper
Ridge, NY