This is more about bird behavior than rarity, so apologies if it's o/t, but
I watched a swallow engage in extraordinary (to me) behavior at Croton
Point Park in Westchester today. It started when I spotted something white
drifting slowly towards the ground: a large, downy feather. Just as I
focused on it, a Barn Swallow snatched it out of the air with its beak. I
expected the bird to head off to its nest, but instead it dropped the
feather...and then circled and snatched it out of the air again.

For the next few minutes, I watched the swallow repeatedly release the
feather, do wide loops around it--sometimes feinting in its direction--and
then pluck it out of the air. Twice it let the feather land on the grass,
retrieving it once while on the wing and once by landing beside it. Finally
the swallow did head off, I imagine to line its nest at last.

I'd never seen swallows engage in play, but I can't see how this was
anything else. Has anyone else here ever witnessed something like this?
Thanks--Joe Wallace