With the hunting season now upon us, and the Waterfowl Count starting on
Saturday, we would like to make a serious plea that birders and
photographers not post reports of rare geese from Riverhead and the East
End of Long Island on eBird, Facebook, this listserv, or any other social
media platform until the end of the season.

It has become very clear here on LI that hunters have caught on to eBird,
the listservs, and social media, and are targeting the rare geese (and
ducks also) using information obtained from birders. One of the only
Pink-footed Geese in the Riverhead area last winter was shot this way, and
we personally know of other cases involving Ross's and Barnacle Geese (and
King Eiders, etc.). A Greylag Goose, very likely of wild origins and if so,
extremely rare, was also shot in this area a few years ago.

The problem is most acute in the Riverhead area and on the South Fork, from
November to the end of hunting season (9 Feb for Canada Goose, 6 Mar for
Snow Goose). We understand that the birding community does not want war
with the hunters, but the situation here is very sensitive--everybody knows
the very limited number of specific fields used by the geese, and it seems
a shame that the rarer species are being exposed to this level of danger.

We would suggest Cackling, Ross's, Barnacle, Pink-footed, and Greater
White-fronted Geese, and of course any mega rare species, seen in these
areas not be reported until hunting season ends or at least until the geese
seem to have moved on.

Cackling and Greater White-fronted Goose may be taken legally as part of
the Canada Goose bag limits. Snow and Ross's Geese may be taken as part of
the Snow Goose bag limits. The others are not listed as game species on the
DEC website so apparently were taken illegally.

By making this one small sacrifice, we might just be able to save a few
birds and get to enjoy them longer.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,

Shai Mitra and Pat Lindsay