> >therefore i would strongly suggest to separate jcr-transient
> >space from an "SPI" layer from the very beginning.
>
> Yes, I think we all agree on about the separation.

actually, I'm not yet convinced ;)

using the JCR API also has major advantages because we can
reuse existing remoting as is. jcr-server exposes the JCR
API over webdav, spi2dav exposes it again as SPI if needed
and you can even stack jcr2spi on top of it again if you
want JCR remoting over webdav.

doesn't a new Oak SPI mean we have to re-implement
all these modules again?

I'd suggest non-java clients use the following stack:

non-java-client <-> jcr-server <-> jcr2mk <-> mk

Regards
 Marcel