Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com> wrote:
> however, please be aware that one key feature of oak (compared to
> jackrabbit which only allowed permission evaluation by path) is that
> it always needs to be clear if the target for the permission evaluation
> is a node or a property. similarly, the restrictions may require the
> item being retrieved in order to perform the required evaluation (e.g.
> restricting access by node type).

Agreed. Here with the covered index idea we however have a valid use
case for considering changes to the internal access control API. Such
a change would indeed make it harder to implement some access control
features (like type-dependent restrictions), so we'd need to carefully
weigh the benefits and drawbacks of such a change before implementing
it. For now I tend to agree with you that we shouldn't change anything
here, but I've been wrong before so I think it would be a good idea to
keep our options open here.

BR,

Jukka Zitting