My reference to JSON Patch was not an indication that I recommend its
usage in this context, but it was more a counter-example to explain
that, in my opinion, JSOP doesn't add anything new to JSON if not
another notation that must be understood, parsed and supported -
potentially in non-Java environments too.

On the other hand, JSON Patch is for sure an inspiration for this use
case. The reason why I don't recommend it is because it works with a
flat namespace. Some operations, namely "add" and "remove", has an
overloaded behavior depending on the object referenced by the "path"
property. The repository, instead, works with two namespaces, one for
properties and another one for nodes. Given a path "/a/b/c", it is not
immediately clear if the intent of the client is to manipulate a child
"c" of the node "/a/b" or a property "c" of the same node.

I would prefer, instead, our own version of patch, with a very small
set of operations that convey the right semantics without any guessing
involved.