This is most likely due to rate at which event gets generated and thus
causing Observation queue to fill up (1000 default size). If the
backing JCR listener is slow in processing the queue would get filled
and BackgroundObserver would start compacting/merging the diff thus
converting local events to external.

There are two solutions
1. Throttle the commits - CommitRateLimiter
2. Have a non limiting queue - Then you end up with OOM if gap in
processing rate is large
Chetan Mehrotra