>                 for ( int i = 0 ; i < 1000 ; i++ ) {
BTW, just doing it a 100 times should do it
(ref:NodeDocument.NUM_REVS_THRESHOLD)

> While this code creates a split candidate in the DocumentNodeStore,
> NodeDocument.split() creates no update ops
Actual split docs are created in background update thread -- which,
would hit almost every second, so you can sleep a while and it should
do it.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to create a split document in a unit
> test?
To me, although, depending on split docs from Session level seems a
little too dependend on implementation. I think it'd be easier (more
controllable) to have the test build up at a more basic level -- check
out DocumentSplitTest. Basic idea is that do a lot of changes and then
forcefully do a NodeStore.runBackgroundOperations()

Thanks,
Vikas