Hi Matt,

48 bytes is the shallow size of String object with a 64 Bit
Oracle 7 JVM. In this version the String class also keeps
offset and length fields, which means the estimate is rather
conservative and slightly higher than what is e.g. needed
for Oracle's Java 8. The latter only keeps a char[] and an
int for the computed hash.

As for the estimated value of an empty string. Even in this
case the String will have the char[] and int for the hash.
That is, the method will never return 0.

Regards
 Marcel