Hi Davide

IMO the fix for OAK-5200 is straight forward:

1. revert changes made to DynamicSyncContext: it's here where the bug was
introduced.
   that should be doable today.

2. have a quick discussion on oak-dev on how to deal with the new,
exported class ExternalGroupRef
   which was introduced (and was already backported): this one would not
be used any
   more after 1) but removing it again would (afaik) lead to a major
version bump.
   i want to get more opinions on that, because i am not aware that we had
the problem
   before (or missed/don't remember how we dealt with it).
   if we see that it's not doable or too cumbersome reverting this class,
we may decide
   to leave it... we might find it useful later on or end up deprecating
it for 1.8.
   but i want to have a conscious decision here and some broader agreement
from the team.

   - if we leave it -> changes in auth-ldap code base don't need to be
reverted
   - if we revert it -> changes in auth-ldap also would need to be reverted

Hope that helps
Angela

PS: as far as the original improvement is concerned that was the intention
of OAK-4930
(but which is not obvious from the subject, which is not correct), we need
to have a new
Improvement ticket, where we can discuss the options... I want that kind
of improvements
to be properly tracked in jira (and ultimately in the documentation and
benchmarked) such
that everyone can understand why a given change was made... i had a hard
time yesterday to
understand what was the actual aim of OAK-4930 and it was just by
coincidence that I hours
later spotted the issue... just because I could not understand how I could
have mixed up
ID and principal  name in the original code (and which turned out wasn't
the case).