> I think the discussion about the adapter pattern is orthogonal to the binary

For me its tied to how you are going to implement this support.
Adaptable patterns is one way based on my current understand of Oak
design.

At level of ValueFactory.getBinary we do not know if the Blob can
provide a signed url. Its deep down in the layer JCR Binary -> Oak
Blob -> DataStoreBlob -> S3DataStore DataRecord. So each Blob cannot
provided a signed url and it depends on backing DataStore. This can be
easily supported via adaptor pattern where JCR layer tries to adapt
and then final backing BlobStore impl decides to provide the adaption
implementation.

I do not see how instance of checks can be expressed across all these layers

A rough sketch of any alternative proposal would be helpful to decide
how to move forward

Chetan Mehrotra