Hi Ian,

Thanks for starting the discussion. I think this can be one of the big
benefits of modularising Oak and I am interested in seeing this being
done.

As you mentioned, it becomes easier to integrate various Oak changes,
especially for consumers only depending on stable APIs.

On Thu, 2017-10-05 at 13:33 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> Obviously bundles remain the release unit, and the build must include
> OSGi
> based integration tests that validate a release is viable.

This brings about a question - what is an Oak release? If doing per-
module releases, will we also do a "product" releases?

A product release in my view is - similar to the Sling Launchpad - a
way of saying 'these module versions are guaranteed to work together
beyond compilation and semantic versioning constraints'.

Also of interest is how/if we want to address the issue of supporting
various module versions combinations. So if we have ( for instance )

- oak-api 1.7.9
- oak-core 1.7.12
- oak-segment-tar 1.8.0

will these work together? Furthermore, which versions of oak-upgrade
and oak-run are compatible with this combination?

We should have these discussion first, and then (hopefully) switch to a
more modular release process.

Thanks,

Robert