Hi,

Could this be related to adding the "rep:AccessControllable" mixin if it
doesn't exist on that specific node?
(The AccessControlManagerImpl will update the mixins property in the case
it is not there.)

It fits with the examples:

> If I create the first version of a node *after* adding an ACE to it, then
I can add or remove other ACE without having to checkout the node.
in this case the mixin was already added prior to the versioning operation,
so adding/removing ACEs will not touch the mixin

> If I create the first version of the node *before* adding the first ACE,
then I get the error (*OakVersion0001: Cannot change property
jcr:mixinTypes on checked in node*) whenever i try to modify the node
permissions without checking it out first.
In this case touching the mixins would trigger the version validation on
the mixing requiring a checkout/checkin of that node.

best,
alex