Correct. If there are certs installed on the device the browsers are likely
going to prompt.

Having at least one CA configured together with optional_no_ca (even if its a
CA noone ever has certs for) additionally omits the prompt for some client
configurations.

Odesláno z iPhonu

17. 12. 2018 v 23:10, John Bradley <ve7...@ve7jtb.com>:

> [...]
>> but not demand, client certificates using the
>> certificateVerification=“optionalNoCA” setting. With this config I am able
>> to authenticate a confidential client using mTLS, and yet connecting to the
>> same server over HTTPS in either Safari or Chrome on Mac does not prompt me
>> for any certificate. I don’t have any client certificates configured in my
>> browser, so does this only happen if you do?
>>
>> Depending on the deployment scenario, it may also be possible to terminate
>> TLS at a proxy and use a separate proxy for (intranet) mTLS clients vs
>> public clients, but that may not suit every deployment.
>>
>> — Neil
>>
>>> On 17 Dec 2018, at 20:26, Brian Campbell
>>> <bcampbell=40pingidentity....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> While there's been some disagreement about the specific wording etc., there
>>> does seem to be general consensus coming out of this WG to, in one form or
>>> another, recommend against the use of the implicit grant in favor of
>>> authorization code. In order to follow that recommendation, in-browser
>>> JavaScript clients will need to use XHR/fetch (and likely CORS) to make
>>> requests directly to the token endpoint.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile there is the MTLS document utilizes TLS client certificates at
>>> the token endpoint for client authentication and/or certificate bound
>>> access tokens. The security BCP draft even recommends sender/key
>>> constrained access tokens and MTLS is close to the only viable way to do
>>> that at this time.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, however, these two things don't play very nice together.
>>> When a browser makes a TLS connection where a client cert is requested by
>>> the server in the handshake, even when client certificates are optional and
>>> even when it's fetch/XHR, most/many/all browsers will throw up some kind of
>>> certificate selection interface to the user.  Which is typically a very
>>> very bad user experience. From a practical standpoint, this means that a
>>> single deployment cannot really support the MTLS draft and have in-browser
>>> JavaScript clients using authorization code at the same time.
>>>
>>> In order to address the conflict here, I'd propose that the MTLS draft
>>> introduce a new optional AS metadata parameter that is an MTLS enabled
>>> token endpoint alias. Clients that are doing MTLS client authentication
>>> and/or certificate bound access tokens would/should/must use the
>>> alternative token endpoint when present in the AS's metadata. While all
>>> other clients continue to use the standard token endpoint as they always
>>> have. This would allow for an AS to deploy an alternative token endpoint
>>> alias on a distinct host or port where it will request client certs in the
>>> TLS handshake for OAuth clients that use it while keeping the regular token
>>> endpoint as it normally is for other clients, especially in-browser
>>> JavaScript clients.
>>>
>>> Thoughts, objections, agreements, etc., on this proposal?
>>>
>>> PS Bikeshedding on a name for the metadata parameter is also welcome. Some
>>> token_endpoint_mtls
>>> mtls_token_endpoint_alias
>>> mtls_token_endpoint
>>> alt_token_endpoint_mtls
>>> mtls_token_endpoint_alt
>>> a_token_endpoint_that_a_client_wanting_to_do_mtls_stuff_a_la_RFC_[TBD]_should_use