> How do you know this *is* the implementation in the base class? How do you
> know there *is* a private variable called “_wut”, or its type, or what value
> it actually contains, or if there are any other
> variables that must be set consistently whenever the value of the “wut”
> property changes?
>
> I don’t see how you can safely make your change without seeing the source
> code of the base class, and it you have access to the source code you’d be
> better off making a custom library.

I do have access to the base class-- the library is a sub-project within
my project. I just simply want the option to be able to prevent a single
side effect that happens in their setter method, so I was hoping I
could just subclass as make my own custom setter.  So I can call both
theirs and mine when appropriate.

There's no way to do this without duplicating tons of their code?

Patrick J. Collins
http://collinatorstudios.com