From: "The Sigil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:50 AM

>Surely if the Wizards of the Coast bring out a 4E D&D that is not >compatible with the SRD it will just make it economically viable for >people to add character creation rules to the SRD and sell their own 3e >PHB/DMG/MM clones.

Game companies would also have an incentive to do their own SRD bug-fixes and while certain companies might not want to be as co-operative as others, enlightend self interest would push most publishers together.

*snorts with laughter*

Forgive me, David, but I just HAD to respond to this. Enlightened self-interest would push most publishers together to adopt the same bug-fixes?

It will NEVER happen. One of the "talking points" that had everyone excited about the OGL was that we were likely to see a whole bunch of rules and ideas, and the best ones would quickly be adopted and become "the standard" among third-party publishers, and possibly among WotC/D&D play as well. That never even came close to happening.

Hang on a second Sigil. I'm not talking about publishers creating new OGC in a co-operative manner (I've already seen that while cooperation is probably in the interest of publishers that want to stay in the business for the long term, many publishers do *seem* to hoard their own content for various reasons).

I'm talking about something different. I'm talking about publishers working together to maintain the core rules (if WotC abandon them during the change to 4e). This co-operation would be limited only to the concept of upgrading the 3.5 SRD to a level where it would attract customers who want an alternative to the 4e D&D books. It would only do the following:

1) Take over the procedure of fixing existing bugs in the SRD (after WotC stop releasing erratas) and 2) Produce enough new core rules to catch up with 4e D&D (and do nothing else).

This would be a minimum amount of cooperation and could probably be done if just a few content creators agreed to do it.

Why not?  Three factors.

First, the OGL's "viral Section 15 - but nowhere else - credit requirement" made it impractical to do so without creating ever-bloating Section 15's.

I'm sure there is a workaround for that. Suppose that the publishers that helped with the project didn't actually publish erratas, bug fixes and 4e upgrades under their own name. The section 15 could then be limited to the joint name that they operated under.

Lets say for arguments sake WotC shut the door and that after that a rag tag band of publishers decide that staying in the d20 System business is worth the extra effort. Perhaps something like this could happen:

1) A few publishers, for example Monty Cook, Clark Peterson, Green Ronin and Mongoose say "what the hell - lets give it a go and if it doesn't work out we can move on anyway".

2) They get in touch with the Open Gaming Foundation and agree to all work for the OGF so that there is one publisher and none of them get top billing over the others.

3) They agree with Ryan that the following section 15 will be used on the "alternate 4e SRD":

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Forth Edition SRD Upgrade version 4.01 Copyright 2007, Open Gaming Foundation; Authors Monty Cook, Clark Peterson, Green Ronin and Mongoose. For more information about Forth Edition see www.opengamingfoundation.org

4) Ryan agrees to put links to every company/individual that helps out in the continuity editions of the SRD. He also puts up some blurb that says how "all of these publishers are working together with the OGF to keep the Forth Edition alive" and suggests that "gamers that want to keep the SRD alive should support the publishers so that they can continue to donate their time".

5) Publishers who can't be bothered to contribute would be forced to print the full copyright notice advertising exactly who was working on the Forth Edition. Hence publishers that don't get involved advertise all the companies working on the "Forth Edition SRD Upgrade" and are forced to provide a website where RPG fans can find out more information about them all.

6) Ryan would get a number of additional hits and click throughs and fans that wanted to "support the people who support the SRD" would get a feeling that buying a product from one or more of those publishers would be saving the game industry.

7) RPG fans reading the copyright notice, who didn't know about the OGL, SRD and surrounding issues, would get the impression that Monty, Clark, Green Ronin and Mongoose were somehow "better" at looking after the SRD. Some sales (no I don't know how much as we are so deep into theories that we are bordering on science fiction) would be generated from click throughs as the link would make all of their products seem to be "more official".

8) The more rabid RPG fans who *were* aware of the issues surrounding the OGL, SRD and OGC would probably urge people to support publishers that "were working on Forth Edition" and boycott the publishers who "were riding on their backs". However, although the rabid fans make a lot of noise I don't think they have a major influence.

9) Publishers who didn't initially help with the project may be tempted to join in when they see a commercial benefit of being an "official Forth Edition author" and further editions of the SRD Upgrade could feature an updated copyright notice with the names of anyone who comes onboard.

10) Whenever a new publisher decided to come onboard Ryan could make a big show of giving them a "big shout" out on the website. Instantly giving them reward for coming onboard. RPG fans would start to wonder why publishers were not involved, as without an understanding of the issues those publishers would just look like they were "being killjoys". The more people that join in the more "peer pressure" would be exerted on publishers that were not involved. (Lets face it, if Clark used the names of the publishing lines he is connected with, instead of his own name (as I showed here) the project would get a "buy one - get one free deal" and instantly get White Wolf and Arthaus as well as Sword and Sorcery Studios. So if he came onboard he would look like 3 publishers even if it was only him writing!)

--------

If WotC *also* withdrew the d20 STL - which they probably would if they were really trying to kill off the competition the above publishers and the Open Gaming Foundation could also release their own replacement logo and licence which could be less restrictive, and could also allow a level of advertising/bibliography that their lawyers thought was in their mutual interest.

The logo could even be the letters OGC in an icosahedron and could have the URL "opengamingfoundation.org" to act as a method of viral marketing that attracts people to the OGF website and sends some visitors on to publishers that "donate their time to keep the Forth Edition alive".

And if the publishers had some sort of "moral" objection to working with Ryan they could always buy "opengamecontent.org" (which strangely is unused) or "ogc.org" (which would have to be bought from the mob that are using it for a fake search engine that chucks dodgy pop ups at you) or "opengamecontent.com" (which currently redirects to "alld20.com") or "ogc.com" (which is owned by another fake search engine/directory service) and use one of those URLs instead.

--------

So when I say "enlightened self interest" I'm not talking of charity. I'm talking of publishers doing something (in the event of this hypothetical "attack" on their business by WotC) that turns a closed content 4e D&D into a chance for them to "take over" and become the "official SRD publishers" in the eyes of the RPG buying community.

Second, publishers were very ambiguous with their OGC designations, making picking out and reusing the OGC something of a legal liability minefield that nobody wanted to brave. Why was this done? Occasionally out of laziness, but I have to believe #3 below played a part as well...

I'm not talking about sourcing material from existing products, so bad OGC definitions would not need to effect a new co-operative publication that was similar to what I said above.

Third (and in my view most importantly), too much OGC came along as "crippled" - publishers, by and large, closed more than they opened (especially closing down names of spells, monsters, etc.), making re-use near-impossible... there are a multitude of reasons why this happened, but in my mind, it boils down to most publishers simply not wanting to contribute any more than they had to with the attitude, "if there's any money to be made on my writing, I'd darn well be the one making it."

The project would need to update the existing SRD to be compatible with (or on an equal footing with) the 4e D&D. Most of the work would involve examination of the SRD and changes to that. The OGC you are talking about could mostly be ignored, as it isn't core stuff.

In other words, self-interest among many publishers killed the truly sterling potential of the OGL to create a dynamic, legitimate alternative to D&D. There was nothing "enlightened" about it. Forgive me if I don't share your optimism that 4E will somehow cause a shift in attitude among publishers of third-party material.

"Enlightened self interest" is not the same as plain old fashioned "self interest". Enlightened self interest is a principle where you recognise that it is in your own interest to make sure that other parties are looked after in some way. I don't think that a hypothetical closed 4e D&D system would magically cause all publishers to become "tree hugging hippies", but if a few publishers that respected (not necessarily liked) each other decided that they would "put up with each other" to try to retain the "d20 System market share" they could turn a co-operative system (that stood up against D&D) into something that was of more economic benefit than going alone.

Everyone was so busy obsessing over protecting the little kingdom of "Intellectual Property" that they had created that they failed to realize it's usually not much more than a pile of mud and sticks that they were protecting (and not worth much more, either... realistically, I would guess that there are probably between half a dozen and a dozen third-party OGC/d20 publishers remaining whose Intellectual Property has a value that is above four digits).

A co-operative SRD Upgrade controlled by a consortium of publishers might even protect IP better than the current system. Imagine if the "Forth Edition SRD Upgrade" had an appendix that said stuff like "Scarred Lands is Product Identity of Sword and Sorcery Studios". Stuff like that would get everybody (who piggybacked on the SRD Upgrade) to agree to not use Clark's PI in one hit. The arguments about 3rd generation OGC would be rendered irrelevant in one go.

That little rant is not likely to endear me to anyone in the RPG industry, but there it is. The uglier the truth, the truer the friend that tells it.

I like a good rant and don't see Lee around any more to rant at me.

*shrugs* Oh well. I hope at the end of the day it turns out that you are right and I'm not just a cynic. But honestly, I saw little "enlightened self-interest" the first go-round, why should the second go-round - with mostly the same players - be any different?

Because at the moment WotC feed two carrots (the SRD and its erratas and the d20 System Trademark) to publishers that make it worth doing things the WotC way (i.e. taking a back seat and letting WotC call all the shots). In this hypothetical situation the carrots would be removed and publishers would either have to cooperate, maintain compatibility with a "dead 3.5 system" or switch over to their own non d20 systems (and all fight to create their own tiny markets).

There is a reason why publishers choose to comply with the OGL and d20 STL and I suspect that reason is that they want a slice of the market share. If a closed 4e edition happened something similar to what I said would be the only way to be *seen* to be "staying in the existing market" but *also* "upgrading to the 4th edition".

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster
Virtual Eclipse Science Fiction Role Playing Club
http://virtualeclipse.aboho.com/