You are correct. There is a 'test text install ISO, based on illumos-4ac9cfc
that works on legacy hardware like the previous snapshots versus the 2017.04
release. Alex just fixed libusb and some other issues so we may want to wait
till another test ISO snapshot is released.
Recent test boot images:
http://buildzone.oi-build.r61.net/installer-zpool-install/2017-07-22/
~K

On Monday, July 31, 2017, 7:41:25 AM PDT, Aurélien Larcher