> On 12 Nov 2017, at 21:35, Reginald Beardsley via oi-dev
> <oi-dev@openindiana.org> wrote:
>
> After *much* fun I got Hipster 2017.10 to install on my Giada N3.  Firefox is
> marginally functional, very marginally  functional. It consumes roughly 1/2
> of the 2 GB main memory.
>
> The first set of  output is from the first session when I was asked about
> telemetry.  The 2nd seems to relate to "getting into yahoo mail and trying to
> send a message." The part in quotes above  was all typed without echo.

> rhb@openindiana:~$ /usr/bin/firefox
> [Child 1674] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file
> /jenkins/jobs/oi-userland/workspace/components/web/firefox/firefox-52.4.1esr/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp,
>  line 2152
> [Child 1674] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file
> /jenkins/jobs/oi-userland/workspace/components/web/firefox/firefox-52.4.1esr/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp,
>  line 2152
> Killed
> rhb@openindiana:~$ /usr/bin/firefox
> 1510491023078   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> webcom...@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023185   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> e10sroll...@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023297   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> aushel...@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023407   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> fire...@getpocket.com did not contain an updates property
> 1510491026100   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property

> Typing more than a few words is very problematic.
>
> The release notes asserted that one could install versions of OI in parallel.
>  Having successfully installed 151_a8 in the first 1/2 of the disk I tried
> installing Hipster in the 2nd half.  This was *not* good for 1515_a8..  The
> install seemed to go normally, but when I tried to log in, 2017.10  would not
> accept my password.  I moved the drive over to another 2017.10 instance on a
> z400 and cleared the passwords from /etc/shadow.  After that the 2017.10
> instance would not boot.
>
> I had intended to use the 2nd half of the disk to mirror the first half as
> protection against media failures.  However, ti appears that it is not
> possible access the 2nd MSDOS partition.  I used the text installer for all
> installs.  The typing latency is running to over a minute at times.
>
> The text installer would *not* allow me to have two Solaris partitions.
>
> Having discovered that the latency is because 2 GB is not enough memory, I'm
> not sure any of this matters.

Having 2 Solaris partitions is not supported and never has been - it may work,
but it really is not intended to be used like that - the slice naming does not
support it, as we have no way to present the MBR partition name in device name.
(Of course the whole disk device naming sucks, but thats another topic at all).

rgds,
toomas