On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote:
> I won't hold you to this. And I'm not planning any immediate changes.  But
> thinking about where we are going with toolchain dependencies, coding
> standards, and how conservative we need to be about newer C++ features...

For Blender it can be a bit difficult to define. Generally speaking
it's nice if libraries are conservative in using new compiler features
because as an open source project we don't have full control over the
build environment that users have.

> Think ahead to where you or your facility will likely be in, say, January
> 2014.
>
> * What C++ compiler and version do you think will be the oldest (i.e., least
> C++11-compliant) you'll need OIIO to support?

On Windows, we still use Visual Studio 2008, we're moving to Visual
Studio 2012 but I don't know if this will be done by january.
On OS X, Clang 3.1 is the oldest compiler version that we must support
currently (last Xcode version to support OS X 10.6).
On Linux, it depends on what's available in distributions, GCC 4.6
covers practically all users I think.

> * What Boost version do you think will be the oldest you'll need OIIO to
> support?

We currently require Boost 1.49 or newer. I don't know if that's the
absolute minimum but newer versions would require us to do some work
upgrading libraries.

> * Can you think of any other dependencies (OpenEXR, etc.) that you are likely
> to need support for any versions MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD, i.e., dating from
> 2011 or earlier?

None that I know of.

Brecht.