On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM, Larry Gritz <l...@larrygritz.com> wrote:

> * This particular problem (and some others we've had for your builds,
> IIRC) are in a DASSERT, and thus only a build break for DEBUG builds. I
> think you should seriously consider the merits of building in DEBUG mode.
> Why is it helpful to your users? It seems to me that anyone who needs to
> debug *into* OIIO can probably build from source, and for everybody else
> it's probably a distraction and they would prefer only an optimized build?
> Is there a good reason to provide a debug build? Is that standard for all
> libraries?

I can't speak for Debian but for Fedora debug builds are required. Rpmbuild
strips all the debug info into a separate debuginfo subpackage which can be
installed on demand to get more detailed information after a
crash/segfault.

That's why the bugzilla reports have so much detail in them.

Thanks,
Richard