Happy Open Data Day!  Thanks for bringing this up.  I think one of the best
things that people can do to be "open" is to be explicit and transparent
about the terms that they license their information under and, if they
accept & remix content, the terms under which they accept data.

One of the key things that Creative Commons licenses were designed to
address is the friction caused by everyone having to read, understand, and
approve of lots of different unique licenses.  Refusing to declare a
license and making cloudy statements about the provenance of the data is
the ultimate in anti-openness.

I eagerly await clarification from the Open Library and/or Internet Archive
staff.

Tom