On 17 April 2014 21:16, Rolf Pedersen <rolfpeder...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 06:06 PM, Robert Xu wrote:
>>
>> On 17 April 2014 20:18, Rolf Pedersen <rolfpeder...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I put and verified 3352 on a usb key and installed from that. There
>>> was one oddity at first boot, which flashed the "Detecting unused
>>> hardware
>>> packages" message for an instant, then stopped at the login splash
>>> screen,
>>> w/o the login box, first configuration not having been done.
>>
>> Hold on - are you getting that message after installation or before
>> installation?
>> (as in during installation or on first boot?)
>

> To be more clear, the installation completes normally, with the
> congratulations, prompt to remove installation medium, and reboot. At first
> boot, there is a flash of "Detecting unused hardware packages" or similar,
> and no further progress until I reboot, after a couple of minutes, in this
> case.  At second boot, the removing hardware and locale packages message
> displays quite a bit longer, which I take to indicate it completed.  Also,
> the root password and user configuration completes, all of which should have
> happened first boot.  So, there was a failed first boot, essentially, with
> first time configuration happening at second boot, in this case, for what
> reason I don't know.
> Rolf

Hmm... I think maybe we should prompt the user if they want to remove
unused hardware packages - because that screen showed the packages
that would be removed, IIRC, and also, removing unused hardware
packages takes a lot of time and we don't show dialogs of the process
(which maybe we can with gurpmi?)

I think the remove unused hardware packages is actually going, but no
progress shown makes the user think the system has frozen.

--
cheers, Robert :: protocol.by/rxu