Here are the ZOOM chat notes from the Modeling meeting today.
07:38:25 From Bryan Sullivan : I disagree in principle that declarative
methods can'rt handle complex use cases.
07:39:33 From DENG Hui : Bryan, do you have example, how vendor's volte
could be deployed based on declarative methods?
07:39:37 From Bryan Sullivan : Dependencies as an example is clearly
supported by a declarative model, and can be used to derive VNFC sequencing.
07:40:09 From Alex Vul : I agree with Bryan...
07:40:24 From Bryan Sullivan : You need to list the particular aspects of
the model (actions in a deployment process for example) that need to be
assessed per support in declarative means.
07:40:51 From Bryan Sullivan : Do we have an IRC channel for the meeting?
Will be more effective than this chat tool.
07:41:35 From Alex Vul : just look at the VMware proprietary implementaton
or the BMC one, or examples of complex SAP landscapes that have been
modelled in TOSCA
07:42:08 From Alex Vul : the complexity of SAP landscapes rivals what we
need to do in terms of network services, VNFs and SFCs
07:42:20 From Bryan Sullivan : Also, the Cloudify DSL has a lot of complex
features that they have extended TOSCA with. These have not worked into the
standard but are a clear example of how to declaratively model complex
features.
07:43:34 From Alex Vul : I have been working with declarative orchestrators
for more than 10 years - they can do the job...
07:44:15 From maopeng : could the Tosca deal with both deploy and upgrade?
07:44:16 From Bryan Sullivan : Same for JuJu, which uses a largely
declarative approach, supplemented by scripts where needed for any detailed
actions not yet supported by the model DSL. This is a common technique, and
is a design decision in the end (how much to script based upon lifecycle
hook calls).
07:45:14 From DENG Hui : one more clarification again: is there any
vendor's VOLTE could be deployed based on declarative model? please show
the example,
07:45:20 From Bryan Sullivan : I see no reason that upgrade cannot be
represented by a reference to a dependent artifact that has changed version
(upgrade or downgrade), based upon the current running state of a VNF.
07:45:38 From DENG Hui : today's svnfm is under JUJU,
07:45:44 From Alex Vul : TOSCA *is* for deployment
07:46:22 From maopeng : @Alex,just for deployment?
07:46:30 From Bryan Sullivan : Deng, the "vendor's VOLTE" example needs to
be defined re requirements by the vendor. We can't in a generic sense
respond to a particular example withouth understanding the
assumptions/requirements of that example.
07:46:38 From Alex Vul : you can also orchestrate upgrades/updates
07:47:07 From Amir Levy : @DENG - we have ran VoLTE over declarative model
using Cloudify
07:47:10 From Alex Vul : the containment graph is helpful for in-service
upgrades
07:47:34 From Amir Levy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfkCkj3Hd8U
07:47:48 From DENG Hui : @amir, which operator , and which telecom vendor,
don't tell me that is open source
07:48:25 From maopeng : one Tosca file or two files do deploy and update?
07:48:26 From Amir Levy : @DENG check out - OPNFV / ClearWater
07:48:35 From Bryan Sullivan : Deng, where possible we should always use
open source examples to develop ONAP functionality.
07:48:55 From Bryan Sullivan : (if I understood your point/question)
07:49:05 From DENG Hui : Bryan, we are talking about commerical value and
commerical deployment, not just for academy based on open source vnf
07:51:18 From Bryan Sullivan : If we can't derive clear deployable platform
value from developing a platform using open source reference VNFs, then we
might as well go home now. That does not impact your ability to deploy
proprietary "real" VNFs, or diminish the potential quality of the platform
to support them. We just have to do a thorough job using open source tools
including VNFs.
07:51:20 From maopeng : if the deploy and the update have the different
relations or other depandencies running state, how to do that?
07:52:02 From Alex Vul : can you elaborate maopeng...
07:52:19 From Bryan Sullivan : We are not in a science experiment here; we
are working in the open on a real deployable platform. We just need to keep
all the components of the project discussion open and free.
07:54:20 From maopeng : @alex, we can discuss offline
07:54:32 From Ranny Haiby (Nokia) : Nokia successfully deployed a
commercial IMS using a TOSCA driven templates decribed here:
https://tools.ext.nokia.com/asset/200827
07:54:36 From Alex Vul : sure... i spent 15 years working on app modeling...
07:54:59 From Alex Vul : what Huabing is proposing is actually one
implementation that I have done...
07:55:21 From Bryan Sullivan : Do these chat notes get published in the
minutes? If not we need to start using IRC so the notes are minuted.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 6:00 AM, denghui (L) <denghu...@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>

> We are going to have teleconf in an hour, agenda would be:
>
> 1)      Working through other Modeling related projects, suggested
> influence. (All)
>
> 2)      Combination of declarative and imperative workflow with BPMN
> (Huabin Zhao)
>

> Thanks
>

> Rittwik and Deng Hui

Brian Hedstrom