PAUL WERBOS>” I highly recommend reading David Brin's concise novel, Existence,
which reviews the vast literature on "the Fermi paradox". (Brin and I have had
arguments even sharper than Roman and I, on other issues, but his work in this
book is still important.) Fermi asked years ago: "If life is common in the
universe (as common sense suggests), if intelligence evolves naturally and
allows civilization, and if interstellar travel is ultimately possible (even if
slow), WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN THE ALIENS YET?" Hundreds of possible explanations
have been discussed, but at the end of the day we do not really know.”

Paul, I commented on the Fermi paradox in my book, Transcending Scientism. I
don’t believe that there is any Fermi paradox… or at least not in the context
that Enrico Fermi framed it. Two particularly salient points relate to the
physics of space travel, and return on investment (ROI). From Transcending
Scientism (2016):

I contend that there is NO Fermi paradox. The universe looks to us precisely as
it should look even with advanced civilizations thriving throughout the
universe as the given. Here are the reasons:

·         Thompson (2015) [1] takes a close look at the physics, to explain why
space travel at even a fraction of light speed would be injurious to aliens’
health, in her NewStatesman article, Near-light speed travel increasingly
impossible, according to maths;

·         Space travel AND interstellar communications are expensive. Unless
alien societies can accomplish a realistic return on investment (ROI), there is
no incentive for them to reach us. Curiosity is not enough of an incentive to
justify the enormous expense, and societies too stupid to realize this will be
prime candidates for the Darwin awards;

·          [Etc, etc, etc… as per my previous references to “dumb dirt” and the
reconciliation of physics with entropy]

[1]  Thompson, T. (2015, April 13). Near-light speed travel increasingly
impossible, according to maths. New Statesman. Retrieved May 1, 2016m from
http://www.newstatesman.com/sci-tech/2015/04/near-light-speed-travel-increasingly-impossible-according-maths

Us Earthlings seem to have trouble placing ourselves in the shoes of others, to
imagine their motivations and reservations. The limitations of the physics
(Thompson) are nontrivial. As far as radio communications are concerned, the
Arecibo message in 1974 to globular star cluster M13 was expensive. And to what
end? Earthbound investors are not going to enjoy a substantial ROI for a good
50,000 years (25,000 times 2). Governments formulating fiscal policy, and
businesses making investment decisions, within this context, will have limited
prospects for success and re-election… and rightly so. And regarding closer
stars… I seem to recall that the maximum range for radio signals from our most
powerful radio/television transmitters would be considerably less than 4
light-years. The nearest 25 stars to us are between 4-to-12 light-years away
(for comparison, the Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light-years across). Even if
we were able to establish radio communications with any one of them… what might
the practical returns be of such an investment? We should anticipate that
aliens in advanced civilizations will, similar to our most astute Earthbound
investors, have realistic concerns about ROI, before they would venture
throwing money at projects to communicate with a remote, blue planet that they
can’t even see, much less be able to mine or conquer.

Of course our experiences and inferences might be very different, were our
solar system part of a densely populated globular cluster of stars… but that’s
not us, we’re not there, and further conjecture is therefore pointless.

Let’s place this 25,000 years to M13 into a more realistic context. How many
thousand years has European civilization existed? And closer stars within the
4-to-12 light-years from us? Governments get re-elected every four years or so,
wars and social unrest take place every few decades or so. What realistic ROI
can one hope to see within an 8-to-24 year return message cycle, before one can
even hope to mine or to communicate anything meaningful? Investing in Hubble
and space stations and satellites yields realistic returns on investment… but
attempts to communicate with alien civilizations? Not so much. Even with bold
and imaginative entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, I wouldn’t be holding my breath.
Even bold and imaginative investors, like Elon Musk, hold genuine fears about
the likely success or failure of their projects (Musk was genuinely relieved at
the successful launch of Falcon Heavy). The reason that smart people don’t go
throwing money at dumb projects, despite all the hype, is ROI.

Bottom line… I really don’t think that there is any Fermi paradox, at least not
as defined within the context of his established parameters. The universe looks
to us pretty much as it should look, were life in any of the habitable zones
throughout the universe the norm. The Fermi paradox is asking the wrong
questions (of course it is… its null hypothesis is based in dumb-luck, sterile
materialism). But of course there still remains that interesting question…
where are they? I’d rather rephrase this question, because commonsense already
tells us that they’re out there. Rather, WHY are they not visiting or trying to
communicate with us? This approach reframes what we should be asking:

1.       The constraints as per Thompson (2015) are nontrivial. Within the
context of Newtonian physics and ROI, actual space travel, beyond the confines
of any one star’s solar system, may not be an option. Evidence suggests that
nobody has visited us, and nobody is ever likely to visit us. As we are not
living within a densely populated globular cluster, we should get over it, and
accept our isolation in a sparsely populated stretch of the Milky Way galaxy as
a given;

2.       Given 1, that interstellar space travel is pretty much not an option,
are there alternative communication technologies that might enable alien
civilizations to connect? This, I believe, is the only viable option that
merits exploring. We can, however, fairly safely rule out radio communications,
given that SETI has not yielded anything positive thus far. So… are there
alternative communication technologies that we should be looking for? Perhaps a
technology that implements the quantum mechanics of entanglement?

3.       And what if even interstellar communications are beyond the scope of
physics? There exists one final bridge across the vast expanses of space…
reincarnation;

4.       And this fourth conjecture I throw in at the last minute… maybe they
are visiting/communicating with us… but not on our terms.

Now before we depart from the depressing realization that there is no Fermi
paradox, just one further word regarding the likely pervasiveness of life
throughout the universe… out of curiosity, I’ve just googled the terms [mars
soil analysis]. This lends further support to our thesis regarding the
pervasiveness of life-critical dumb dirt. The following link is
self-explanatory:
https://www.space.com/16895-what-is-mars-made-of.html
The chemistries and compounds contained in dumb dirt, whether Earthbound or
Marsbound, are critical to life (for example, refer to Inner Life of the Cell
<https://youtu.be/FzcTgrxMzZk>  that I posted some time ago to this forum). And
anyone who insists that mechanical dumb luck is sufficient to account for this
rich complexity, with its predisposition to life, despite the reality of
entropy, I have trouble taking seriously (I’m looking at you, Neo-Darwinians).

Regards