It isn't just a matter of who gets more hits on Google. In 2000, the OpenOffice
name was not trademarkable worldwide (and probably still is not) without the
.org. OTOH, the ASF doesn't normally seek to register all it's trademarks
worldwide because of cost (in the US, first use of a mark is significant
enough)...but if Oracle is transferring it's trademarks to the ASF (and if it's
the worldwide trademark, then it's worth about $350,000 USD), then we're back
to dealing with the .org, I'm afraid.

Danese

Kay Shenk wrote:

-Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the *other*
office suite, whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+ years ago). Now
it doesn't, but we should ascertain the status or history of this before
changing the product/brand name I think, just to be safe.