On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the AOO "people" page
> (http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html) I see "some of
> our contributors".  Is this a list of committers?  If so, perhaps new
> committers can be announced along the lines of, "The OpenOffice list
> of Committers at <URL> has updated with the addition of <name>."  Less
> laudatory, more PSA.
>
> If that list on the site isn't of committers, should it be?  Or should
> there be one, with "other contributors" mentioned?

The authoritative list of committers is here:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html

That has been silently updated as new committers have been elected.

As for the other page [2], it has many committers, but also some
mentors, and other contributors.  It is not maintained by the PPMC.
People are free to add themselves.

Apache makes a distinction between  "contributor" (synonymous with
"developer") and "committer".   A "contributor" is as "a user who
contributes to a project in the form of code or documentation. They
take extra steps to participate in a project, are active on the
developer mailing list, participate in discussions, provide patches,
documentation, suggestions, and criticism." [1]

So all committers are contributors, but not all contributors are (yet)
committers.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html