Dennis,

On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Shane,
>
> If you register on the openoffice.org site (recommended), and are logged in,
> you will find something amazing at
> <http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists>.
>
> Those are not all of the lists.  There are, in addition, 15 pages of Projects
> (146 total),
> <http://openoffice.org/projects>.  (Be logged in to view this too.)
>
> The Native Language (NL) projects appear to be here too.
>
> I believe that the static content has been captured.  Kay Schenk can report
> whether she has captured them all.

Things are probably fully captured. Kay, Raphael and I have all checked in
projects. The variation in the html for each project is the next thing that I
must tackle on branding/migration. The checklist of projects including NL
projects is the same. If someone cares to join me in Apache CMS and python and
other scripting then see
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html

I'll be working on variations of view.pm and path.pm to provide the proper
wrapping strategy as indicated by the html in each project.

There are scripts in ooo-site/trunk/tools - See readme.txt for docs about the
scripts. Kay and I are debating URL rewriting which I do via sed.

> Nothing about the interactive aspects such as mailing lists and the community
> efforts is being sustained or salvaged as far as I know.

It has been a question that has not been asked of Apache Infrastructure. This
could use a volunteer.

> There seem to be three aspects here:

Are you describing all of OOo or just the MX part in the following three
points? I will assume that is so.

> 1. These deserve pruning.  Our alternative, so far, has been to add two
> mailing lists to ooo-* @i.a.o.
>
> 2. No one able to handle preparation, staging, and figuring out what to
> install and administer to continue on Apache infrastructure has stepped
> forward at AOOo.  It is not clear who has the keys to those operations.  When
> Terry Ellison was working to provide a migration of the MediaWiki setup and
> the Forums services onto Apache Infrastructure, he reported that he had no
> capacity to add this under his wing.  No one else with knowledge of this kind
> of service has been identified.

In recent discussions Martin Hollmichel apparently has some foo with the
Mailing Lists. I'm not sure if it the correct foo, or simple Admin. I wonder if
Andrew has any insight into this.

> 3. It would be great if there were some energetic body, similar to the Forums
> squad, that could step in and find a way to embrace and sustain what is still
> important as part of the OpenOffice.org ecosystem.

In a related area there are upwards of 460,000 individuals subscribed as
OpenOffice.org users. It is is unclear what we can take - this may fall under
tight German privacy laws. Do we care to preserve this User Database?