Am 10/25/2011 04:31 PM, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

--- On Tue, 10/25/11, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>  wrote:

Something we talked about a while
ago, but never did.  An FAQ on how
to submit a patch to the project.  Obviously, we have
many project
members who have figured this out.  But there may be
others who now or
in the future would benefit from a simple write up.

I was thinking of taking as a base, this page from Apache
HTTP, "How
to Contribute Patches to Apache":

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html

A few questions:

1) If someone uses the git bridge to the repository, does
"git diff"
produce a patch in the same format as "svn diff"?  In
other words, are
they compatible?

2) Do we have a strong preference for whether patches are
submitted to
the ooo-dev list or via Bugzilla?  Or are both
acceptable?

Both are acceptable and are covered by clause 5 of the
AL2. I personally prefer bugzilla because the list
sometimes filters patches.

+1

IMHO BZ seems to be the more logical part to "host" patches. Even when knowing the famous sentence "If it doesn't happen on the list, ...". ;-)

When the Dev would write a short mail to the list with a link to the BZ issue, it would be perfect.

3) It is clear that someone submitting a patch to BZ does
so under
ALv2.  It is not so clear for patches on ooo-dev,
unless they state so
explicitly, right?

FWIW, bugzilla reminds ppl of the AL2 when you create
an account. If you want to add a similar notice when
people subscribe to the list thats OK, but I dont
want the extra license noise in the lists to specify
what should be obvious.

4) Any other things we should mention?

To use the [patch] or [code] tag when sending
patches.

Yes, would be helpful do differentiate right in the subject of mails.

Marcus