On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 26.01.12 16:53, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Graham Lauder<g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Challenge away, I never said: people that volunteer, do it for altruistic
>>> reasons, not sure where you read that. I will clarify:
>>>
>>> I simply stated that IBM's motives were certainly not altruistic I just
>>> have
>>> no idea what they are, and given that a corporation is a sociopathic
>>> beast I
>>> would really like to know what they are, but in the absence of an OOo
>>> related
>>> mission statement, I have to try deduction.
>>>
>> I remind you that the Apache Software Foundation is also a
>> corporation.  So wild generalities of corporations being "sociopathic
>> beasts" are not going to get you very far.
>>
>>> I also stated that someone paid by a corporate member to participate in
>>> this
>>> community cannot be called a volunteer.  Take your argument to the
>>> extreme and
>>> you could say that every one _lives_ voluntarily because they decided not
>>> top themselves this morning.  A ridiculous argument.   Volunteer =
>>> someone who
>>> has to sacrifice personal time outside of their daily mortgage paying
>>> work, to
>>> contribute.
>>>
>> I never said that someone with corporate sponsorship is a volunteer.
>> What I did is challenge you on your belief that this distinction --
>> the form of reward a participant receives --  makes any difference
>> whatsoever in terms of how we work on the project. Some members might
>> be Irishmen, Lutherans or fans of Real Madrid.  These affiliations, as
>> well as employment status,  are just some of the many attributes of
>> our personhood.  We should be dealing with each other as persons,
>> looking at individual actions, rather than drawing wild stereotypes
>> based on speculated group characteristics.
>
> That's not realy true Rob. I think IBM employee will also speak up for IBM
> Interests here. But thats normal, and this is not bad. Also a load of

That's why "hats" are so important.  See the section "Individuals
compose the ASF" here"

http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

On rare occasions, when I feel I need to say something on behalf of
IBM, I've been explicit about that.  I say, "wearing my IBM hat....",
as in:

http://markmail.org/message/blwwws6ir545b2j6

or (an example from Don):

http://markmail.org/message/ybhbyw3aembdph5d

If I'm not doing that, then by default I am speaking as an individual
contributor on the project, expressing my own opinions, etc.  I hope
no one automatically agrees with what I say just because I happen to
work for IBM, or because I'm an American, or that I am a Red Sox fan,
but I also hope no one just automatically disagrees with me based on
these extraneous facts.