Many great thoughts here.

In addition to supporting the open source movement, perhaps we could market
participation as a way to learn and develop skills.

As a newbie, it appears that much our message is around what we need - which is
essential to understand, however we may want to focus on why someone may want
to join and help them realize their goals.

For example, if someone is looking to demonstrate their skills and develop
portfolio work products, then AOO offers a sandbox of opportunity.

Some thoughts.

Regards,
Kevin