On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 09:04 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Kevin Grignon
> <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Rob,
> >
> > Sounds like we can appeal to contributors intrinsic and extrinsic
> > motivation.
> >
> > Another newbie question: Does OO have any experience recruiting
> > non-technical volunteers. Many disciplines outside coding can have an
> > impact on the offering. Product management, UX, ID, training, visual
> > design, marketing, communications, etc. How might we position ourselves as
> > open product development? A wider net would attract the diverse skills that
> > could really make the effort a success long term.
> >

> See this page here, which our central "how can I help page":
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
>
> So we need and value contributors in a wide range of disciplines, not just
> technical ones.

Hola Rob, Kevin

Just an aside, if you will. At this years FOSDEM there was a panel
discussion consisting of a number of the community managers. Included
IIRC was openSUSE, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu (in this case the speaker was
specifically from the LoCo team project, not Ubuntu overall)...and a
couple others whose affiliation I can not recall.

One topic, which would be germane here, was on recruiting contributors.

Across the panel the participants felt that finding and retaining
_quality_ non-coding contributors has proven to be more difficult then
coders. Unfortunately that was the extent of the topic discussion, they
all agreed but not a single one went into Why they thought this was, or
what particular obstacles, procedural or cultural, might be involved, or
what actions if any they have implemented to address the situation.

Anyhow, just thought I'd pass it along. BTW I watched this on a live
video stream but the panel discussion may be available in an on-line
archive, I don't know one way of the other.

//drew

<snip>