On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/get-aoo-300x100-cf.png?version=1&modificationDate=1331970198000

>> > There should be a minimum size.
>> >

>> Did you have a specific size in mind?  Or would we state it more
>> qualitatively, like "The logo may be resized, provided it remains
>> legible, but may not be otherwise altered".

>> This should probably be wored as "The image must be directly linked to
>> one of..."    I don't think we want to allow use of the logo in cases
>> where it links to a different install program that installs adware and
>> then invokes the real installer.
>>

> Agree 100%, unfortunately few downloads websites add adware, tool-bars as
> well as malicious software.
> You might want to explicitely state that the download page can't be
> wrapped, though.

To be precise:  if someone "wraps" the download, then they are not
eligible for this "Get it here!" program that would give automatic
permission to use this specific logo.  But if they have a good reason
for wrapping, then they are free to do that in two ways;

1) By not using the AOO logos

or

2) By requesting explicit permission to use the AOO logos.  We would
evaluate these requests on a case-by-case basis, just as we do now for
all requests.

So the point of the logo program is not to define absolute
prohibitions.  The idea is just to carve out an area that we are
comfortable allowing the use of the logo without any further review by
the PMC.  IMHO this should include restrictions that prevent the most
common abuses that we are aware of.  But this is not an absolute
prohibition.  It just means if you want to do something outside of
this particular promotion program you need to take the longer path of
asking explicit permission.

-Rob