On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the top post. I like where this is going. A lot of interesting
> ideas.
>
> I have one major concern. How do we manage the human created content as
> people replace and/or edit the translations. What happens when the original
> English (or French) page is changed? To me we are really discussing managing
> Markdown text. If the names of files are like:
>
> index.mdtext
> index.en-GB.mdtext
> index.fr.mdtext

Wouldn't you say that 99% of the website is HTML and Wiki Text today?
 There is very little Markdown in use outside of the Podling project
pages.

In any case, it should be possible to use Pootle for this, just as we
manage changing product strings and updating those.

There are a good number of convertors for getting to/from Pootle
format:  http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/index

Note html2po.

I bet writing mdtext2po (and the inverse) would be possible.

If we used Pootle for this, we'd need to define some sort of schedule,
since it is not really a "release" in the traditional sense.  But you
could imagine every month or so, doing a cycle of:

1) html2po and mdtext2po

2) Load into Pootle

3) Volunteers translate

4) At specified time run po2html and po2mdtext

5) check in the new website files

> We'll have some type of Apache CMS magic that can handle translated SSI
> elements. I need to write Joe / infra-dev an email...
>
> Then if we can tie together the CMS to take translations and somehow inform
> either or both the human and/or the tool translators when changes occur in
> other languages ... svn diff can be used... assuming that...

The issue is the average translator is not an markup (or markdown)
person.  They use Pootle or similar tools that facilitate translation.
 What do we need to be translator-friendly?  Consistency between how
we translate UI and webpages might help.