On Aug 15, 2012, at 3:27 PM, drew jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 14:45 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a reason that the README in the source release is still pointing
>>> at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions for Mac Builds?
>>>
>>> Minimally this then points to http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AquaBuild
>>> this doesn't seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?
>>>
>>> Would someone check the Build instructions and then update to be very clear
>>> what is current.
>>>
>>> I am proceeding with my tests as if the prerequisites have not changed and
>>> that I have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.
>>
>> I am stuck and I am stopping. I am very unhappy with the instructions on the
>> WIki page. I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.
>>
>> Please show me the simplest way to build on a Mac from Source and show me on
>> the Wiki based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions
>>
>> BTW - Remember that SOURCE is the ONLY OFFICIAL RELEASE.
>
> - but I thought that as part of accepting this project ASF was saying
> they were open to change.. am I just wrong on that - cause folks keep
> saying this as if it is a FACT and I thought it was going to be up to
> this project to decide whether binaries are official, or not.
>
> That is what I thought when I cast my non-binding vote to create this
> project at ASF - specifically that it was recognized as needing this
> type of differentiation from earlier projects.

Binary artifacts are fine, they are just considered to be "unofficial
convenience artifacts".

The ASF's mission is software for the public good. That means that users must
be able to see the source and be able to build it for themselves. They must be
able to inspect the source to see that it is unhindered.

So, the IP must be clear and transparently so. This is what an IPMC and ASF
Member must measure their vote on.

Sorry, I'm a bit cranky right now. My cpan disappeared while trying to assure
that I had the now required LWP::UserAgent. No one tested the new
download_external_dependencies.pl properly.

My real message is that the project needs to clean up the build instructions so
that special knowledge and/or help is not a prerequisite.

Regards,
Dave