On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Oh.
>
> I thought it was *not* the practice of ASF to claim copyright over code.  It
> is always weird to say all rights reserved and simultaneously offer a license.

It is Apache practice to claim copyright on the selection/arrangement
of the source files that comprise the distribution.  This is different
from the copyright on the individual source files in the same way as
the copyright on an anthology of poetry differs from the copyright on
each of the individual poems.

And there is nothing odd/wrong about reserving all rights and offering
a license at the same time.  In fact that is the normal combination.
Any rights not covered by the license are reserved to the copyright
holder(s).

> Is it necessary to include a copyright notice in the About box at all?  ASF
> has no copyright on any of the source code.  Where is the original tangible
> expression that has there be such a copyright here?

False premise.   Remember, the first line of our NOTICE file is
required to be the Apache copyright:
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice   Putting it in the
about box is not making any new claims.  It is just making the claims
more evident.

In any case, if there are remaining doubts about this, II recommend
taking them to legal-discuss for a definitive response.