Looking at David's example makes me think that it is important to get this
right before releasing 4.0.0 & thus worth a bit of a delay.

I like Ricks idea of an ::option directive - the default being the current
setting, with NATIVE being as many as you can squeeze out of the
architecture at run time.

What would happen if you specified more Digits on the ::option directive
than the processor architecture allowed for?

thanks,

Jon