Not sure what you mean by 'attach to process'?

With the menu Debug/Attach to process
you can select a running process from a list, and when a breakpoint is reached,
the process is stopped on this breakpoint.
In your case, when the exception is triggered, you should have the call stack in
the debugger. And if you are running the debug version of ooRexx, then you
should see the symbolic names.

 OK .. that's not much help to me, the problem is not repeatable and only
appears once a month or so.   I'm looking for the behaviour where the VS is
opened when (any) exception occurs.

Mike