Hello Enrico, I will reply inline, ok? This discussion is for macOS only.

Hälsningar/Regards/Grüsse,
P.O. Jonsson
oor...@jonases.se

> Am 29.03.2018 um 16:09 schrieb Enrico Sorichetti <enricosoriche...@mac.com>:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> where to install things almost always resulted in a flame war,

Exactly. For that reason I consider to prepare one installation for every
flavor :-)
With the script I have prepared I can produce shell scripts that takes care of
the complete installation/deinstallation in a split second.

> I speak for the *ix side…
> why not leave things as they were once upon a time ???

„Once upon a time = 4.1.1 ooRexx was installed in /opt/ooRexx I think, with
symlinks into /usr/bin and /usr/lib (I am not sure here) but Apple SIP erased
those symlinks so the installation just stopped working. When I last tried an
older installation without specifying the path it ended up in ~Applications.

I have installed in /usr/local/oorexx5.0.0 and used symlinks to /bin and /lib,
this works very well. /opt/oorexx5.0.0 work just as well but when I checked a
clean install /opt did not even exist under macOS High Sierra, so I went for
/usr/local instead.

> intall to /opt/oorexx if nothing is specified
>
> the advantage is that no root priviliges are needed
> no issues about the <lib> subdirectory

I have done this as well but I still need privileges, no difference between
/opt and /usr/local in this respect. And to create symlinks into /usr/local/bin
et al you always need sudo commands

Please note that I am talking about /usr and /opt, NOT ~/usr or ~/opt (or as
the current default ~/Applications) local versions available only to the
current user.

> after that the user has the most freedom,
> create the links from wherever he/she chooses
> or - cleaner IMO - add a couple of lines to the profile
> to dynamically add the ooRexx install path to the PATH directory

Once you have created symbolic links you can forget about the path, this is the
cleanest solution Imo

> a welcomed addition would be the installation of oorexx.pc  the
> pkg-config/pkgconf data
> that people who want to link against the oorexx libraries will not have the
> need to specify everything by hand

In my installation all libraries are in the system default paths and will be
found, no fiddling needed

> after that the CMakelists coding can be the same fo any *ix like system

With the possibility to change the installation path at CMake time (like you
made possible in your CMakeLists.txt that I use) enables to put ooRexx wherever
you want. In my experience there is no common ground for what is the „right“
place for anything  in the *nix community. Look at all dialects of Linux. Then
there is BSD, Solaris, AT&T and and and. macOS ((Darwin) originates in BSD so
that would be the logical root to follow. But since Apple does not do so in all
aspects...

> the only distinction would be for the RPATH specification
> for apple is done with  @loader_path/@executable_path. ( still experimenting
> which token is best )
> while for a generic *ix  is done with $origin
> I am experimenting with it in my linux and freebsd vagrant boxes
>
> as far portability ( usb stick ) the ground is a bit murkier …
> no issues for the .so’  and the .dylib’s
>
> the are a couple of quirks in the search for the rexx image
> it searches in the PATH and not where it should
>  IMO - the same directory of the executable
> but again, dynamically mangling the PATH will fix things

I will come back to you later to pick your brain on this, ok? I will most
certainly need your expertise

> sidenote…
> a few emails ago i was complaining about spurious abends, the above was the
> reason,
> I was invoking rexx with the full executable path
> and my copy of rexx was using everything from the rexx installed in the PATH
>
> I have the same concerns for the catopen
> stiil trying to understand the catopen search logic

Again in my installation those files needed by catopen (I think only rexx.cat)
is in the system path for sysopen search so it should never be a problem

> from my understanding nothing of the above happens on windows
> everything is taken from the path where the executable resides
>
> as far as the distributing the executables
> I would not worry about creating the debs/rams
> especially if we choose to go bak to the old times and install to /opt/oorexx

I can prepare an (line based) installer for that, but in the „old times there
was no distinction between executables and libraries, everything ended up in
/opt/ooRexx/bin I think.
In my installation executables are in /bin and libraries (or most of them) are
in /lib, this is how the CMake - make make install produces them. And I think
that is the cleanest way.

> my understanding is that the developers of the various linux distributions
> will have to adapt the installers to the linux install tool
> (yum,dnl,apt,…,…,… )
> and will anyway rewrite the installer
> for an independent install I think that a tgz/zip should  be more than enough

I am only targeting the Mac branch, not the Linux branch here. Please remember
that I am a user just like you, not a developer

> sorry for the long email

No problem your input is very welcome !

> Easter greeting to everyone
> enrico
>
> PS…
> do we really need the complication of the COMPONENT things ?
> with the CMAKE componentization looks like that every component is put in a
> different tgz file
> when I  got rid of the COMPONENT construct only one tgz was created
> ( empty but just one :-(  )
> the test were very quick and very dirty
>  in a few days will try to do  thing with a bit more of method
>
> PS**2 .
> sorry for my english, it is not as it was once
> lately I have been speaking more french than english

Your English is MUCH better than my French :-)