I checked the documentation and it isn't really clear (to me). So I ran rexxtry and got:

address cmd with output stem d
  Oooops ! ... try again.     Symbol expected.
                              Stem symbol expected after STEM keyword.
  rc = 20.932 ............................... rexxtry.rex on WindowsNT

Changing "d" to "d." worked.  So the answer (for ooRexx) is you need the dot.

Gil