From: Open-ils-general <open-ils-general-boun...@list.georgialibraries.org> On
Behalf Of Elaine Hardy
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:23 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <open-ils-general@list.georgialibraries.org>
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 856 subfield u

The library definitely has to be the same. We had someone that was occasionally
putting an extra space in front of their policy name so the 856 did not display
as expected. Or the reocrd search as expected.

One thing to remember about suppressing the |3 is that it can be used to
specify which part of the resource the 856 applies to, and may not indicate the
entire resource. In cases where there are multiple 856s in a record, it can be
used to identify the specific material linked in the URI. For example, a record
might have an 856 for a TOC, one for an author bio, another for the abstract,
and one for the resource itself, all of which would be identified in the |3. If
just the link displays, there might not be enough obvious information to
distinguish them.

I personally prefer a text to identify the link rather than the link itself.
Part of the problem with the |3 is that it is so bare in some instances, like
the first record. I think Museum Handbook would be much more useful than pts
1-3, but that may be more appropriate for a |y than a |3. You can customize the
856 as you are adding the  |9 so that it displays as you want it to in the OPAC

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager
Georgia Public Library Service/PINES
1800 Century Place, Ste. 150
Atlanta, GA 30045
404.235.7128 Office
404.548.4241 Cell
404.235.7201 FAX

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM, Kathy Lussier