Hello Rudy,

 If you run  ps -ax | grep iscsid after you stop open-iscsi I suspect you'll
find that the daemon is still running.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ps ax | grep iscsid

 5651 ?        Ss     0:07 /sbin/iscsid

 5652 ?        S<Ls   0:00 /sbin/iscsid

15984 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep iscsid

 You'll see that there are multiple iscsid running.    The start-stop-daemon
in debian doesn't handle the multiple PIDs.

My really poor fix is to add a 'killall -1 iscsid' to the
/etc/init.d/open-iscsi script.

stop() {

        stoptargets

        log_daemon_msg "Stopping iSCSI initiator service"

        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON

        rm -f $PIDFILE

        killall -1 iscsid

        status=0

        modprobe -r ib_iser 2>/dev/null

        if [ "$?" -ne "0" -a "$?" -ne "1" ]; then

 I know I'll probably get flamed for such a poor fix but it works for me.
;-)

 I do recall that someone posted a suggested proper fix for debian but it
didn't get added.

 Don