On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 07:03:41AM -0700, Zoney1409 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Excuse me if this has been asked before but I'm a newbie currently
> being overflowed with info.
>
> I have an Intel Pro/1000 PT setup to boot off iscsi, the target server
> is an open-scsi setup.  The network card picks up the iscsi target
> drive without an issue but doesn't not boot off the drive eventhough
> it should be bootable (it has Ubuntu 8.04 installed on to it).

How did you install Ubuntu on the iSCSI target?

> My question is open-iscsi bootable with this card or am I missing
> something?

It does work with some distros quite well. I don't think Ubuntu is on
the list yet (you are more than welcome along with other people to
get that working).

Here is a PDF of how to get do this setup on a IBM Blade
with RHEL5 as a base-line. The blade uses a specialized firmware to
emulate the iSCSI initiator, similar to what the Intel Pro/1000 PT can
do when you flash it with the iSCSI firmware.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/iscsi_rhel_bladeboot.pdf

You can also do this with SuSE. You will need to pass in the 'iscsi'
bootup parameter to take advantage of this.