On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:33:40AM -0700, a s p a s i a wrote:

> >  It does work with some distros quite well. I don't think Ubuntu is on
> >  the list yet (you are more than welcome along with other people to
> >  get that working).
>
> I got Ubuntu 8.x/Hardy working .. I'm finishing up and cleaning up my
> pilot, but I successfully can boot iscsiRoot on Ubuntu .. I used the
> following instructions as guide (which is based on his Debian servers)

Nice. Did you diverge much from the document or pretty much followed it
step-by-step?

> http://wpkg.org/Diskless_/_remote_boot_with_Open-iSCSI#Downloads
>
> key is to get your init script working according to the configuration you
> have..

Thomas,

I might as well point out some of the things that I think might make sense to
update
in that document.

In the "Background" after "This HOWTO explains"
add:

"To use firmware iSCSI initiator, such as IBM's blade support (called 'iSCSI
Boot
support), or the Intel NICs firmware (in the PCI-E cards) consult the vendor's
website.

To help you out here is the link to the IBM one which has nice screenshots:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_x_pdf/iscsi_rhel_bladeboot.pdf";
(sorry about only pointing out the IBM one - that is the only one I've found
so far).

In the "initrd" part you have:
iscsistart -i "$ISCSI_I" -t "$ISCSI_T" -g 1 -a $ISCSI_A

which works fine on the IET targets but might fail on EqualLogic which can give
you
the target group portal number of 1001. The latest version has auto-logic (Mike
please correct me if that hasn't gotten in?) to figure this out. Either way it
might make sense to say that the -g is optional, or make sure you know what the
value is
from running "iscsiadm -m session" and looking at the value after the port:

tcp: [1] 10.1.32.230:3260,1001
iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:6-8a0900-7d1a77001-94a0000048e47f4f-konrad20gb-2