Dr. Volker Jaenisch wrote:
> Hello open-iscsi-Group!
>
> I fail to run iSCSI over ISER (Infiniband) transport (see my older
> posting for the logs).
> iSCSI over TCP over IPoIB (Infiniband) runs without problems. So I
> assume the iSCSI-configuration of Target and Initiator is ok.
>
> This is my setup:
>
> * Hardware :Peer-to-Peer connected Infiniband cards
> 06:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT25208 InfiniHost III Ex
> (Tavor compatibility mode) (rev 20)
>
> * Debian Lenny, Kernel 2.6.26 (Debian unstable)
> Jul 29 01:51:11 poseidon kernel: Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724.
> Jul 29 01:51:11 poseidon kernel: iscsi: registered transport (tcp)
> Jul 29 01:51:11 poseidon kernel: iscsi: registered transport (iser)
>
> * open-iSCSI 2.0.869-2 (Debian Lenny package)
>
> * stgt : 20080805 (Compiled from actual sources)
>
> Now to my questions:
> * May the difference between the version of the iSCSI transport class
> (v2.0-724.) to the version of the initiator (2.0.869-2) be a problem?

For iscsi_tcp, no. As long as it is a kernel newer than 2.6.22 the tools
can handle older kernels and the kernels can handle newer tools for
iscsi_tcp.

For ib_iser, there can be issues with different upstream and distro
kernels and tools, because they prefer to sync on ofed releases. This
will get better now though, becuase we have more people with iser
capable hardware to support upstream.

> *Is there a set of recommended versions that is know to run with
> ISER?

For iser 2.0.869-2 should work with 2.6.26 and below. I think there
might be a bug in shutdown when IO is running. But for just testing and
getting setup initially it should work.

> * Has anybody got to run ISCSI over ISER over Infiniband with Mellanox HCAs?

I am running iser with:

lspci output:

02:00.0 InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT25208 InfiniHost III Ex
(Tavor compatibility mode) (rev a0)

The current stgt snapshot from here
http://stgt.berlios.de/releases/

With the attached target script. I just start opensm, give me card an ip
and start up the target like it is described in stgt's README.iser and
README.iscsi.

On the initiator side running 2.6.24 and 2.0.865.15, I
# start opensm and give the initaitor ib port an ip.
# start open-iscsi etc/init.d/open-iscsi start
# do discovery to a the port setup on the target in the attached script.

iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p 20.10.10.100

# Disable header digests
iscsiadm -m node -o update -n node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest -v None

# login
iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2001-04.iser -p 20.10.10.100 -l

If I have already discovered targets and had node.startup to automatic
then when I do the open-iscsi start then I scan skip those commands.

Also when you use iscsi_discovery the discovery and update steps are
done for you so you do not have to worry.

#/bin/bash

opensm&
ifconfig ib1 20.10.10.100
./tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode target --op new --tid 1 --targetname
iqn.2001-04.iser
./tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op new --tid 1 --lun 1
--backing-store /home/mnc/iet_lun0
./tgtadm --lld iscsi --op bind --mode target --tid 1 -I ALL
./tgtadm --lld iscsi --op show --mode target