On 01/15/2010 03:33 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 02:41:14AM -0600, Mike Christie wrote:
On 01/15/2010 02:33 AM, Mike Christie wrote:
Hey,

In the open-iscsi git tree there is now offload boot support. The driver
must support ibft or OF. This means that bnx2i and cxgb3i are supported.
If you run

iscsistart -b
or
iscsiadm -m fw -l

it will create sessions using the offload card that was used for boot.

iscsiadm -m discovery -t fw

This will create ifaces or update existing ones with the ibft/of info
for the offload card, and it will set things up so the targets in
ibft/of are setup in the node db to accessed through the card.

However, because I am not sure if any distros can support this and it
conflicts with the old behavior I turned it off by default. To turn it
on you need to compile the userspace code with OFFLOAD_BOOT_SUPPORTED.

To support this, distros or users that like pain, should add the offlaod
driver (cxgb3i or bnx2i) to the initramfs, and for bnx2i you need to
also throw in the brcm or uip (depends on the code version/base) daemon
in the initramfs and start it before running iscsistart or iscsiadm.

Oh yeah one other note. For bnx2i, you also need to bring up some other
bnx2/bnx2x nic still. This requires a kernel fix. For cxgb3i this is not
needed.

Hmm.. can you be more speficic? if eth0 has offloaded boot configured,
what do you need to do for eth1, because of the bug?

I should not have said fix above. Maybe I should have said improvement.

I meant to say bnx2i still has the same start up reqruirements as it did before, and so you have to do the network startup junk you had to do nornally but in the initramfs when booting.

Have you got to use your broadcom card yet? If not it is good you saw the post first. Basically the card has a iscsi function and a net function. You have to set both up to be able to use the iscsi side.

Let's say you have a broadcom card with one port. The net interface is called eth0. Set that up like you normally would and bring it up with ifup. Then because of how bnx2i is designed the iscsi side and network side sort of work together. It is like this with boot or not. So then when you set up the iscsi iface for eth0, the ip address for the iscsi iface has to be on the same subnet as eth0, and eth0 has to be up when you use the iscsi iface with bnx2i.