Re: Startup.  The problem was resolved in 12.10, so you should be fine.

Re: Backup.  Are you connecting to the live volume?   If you connect two
servers to the same volume w/o a cluster file system in place you will end
up with a corrupted volume.   Updates on one server won't be seen by the
other.    Using a snapshot is the safest way to backup an EQL volume.

Don