Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying.

> You should not have to logout the session. For Red Hat and I think SLES, when
> the system is shutting down the root FS gets mounted as read-only. iSCSI is
> left running. Eventually /sbin/shutdown is run and from there the kernel is
> shutdown and if needed the scsi layer might have the iscsi layer send some
> commands like a sync cache. So for this you just need to leave the network up.

I did some research today around this. For Debian, yes, the root FS will be
remounted as read-only before shutting down/rebooting. However, the system will
then stuck at sync cache, even I have left network running. I have not looked
into the Linux kernel to check whether iscsi layer will send logout command to
the target, but I highly suspect it won't.

Here is what I am going to propose:

    1. I am now trying to extend iscsistart to be capable send logout command.
    2. In runlevel 0 and runlevel 6, after remounting the root FS as read-only,
use pivot_root and chroot to change the root to a ramfs, similar to initramfs,
which is loaded with iscsistart. Then we can logout gracefully by invoking
iscsistart.

Please let me know what do you think of this.

Sincerely,
Cheng