On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 12:47:54PM -0600, Michael Christie wrote:

> For the session_is_running checks, we do not really need to check
> sysfs. I originally did this because I was worried other tools would
> be creating sessions using some other tools or accessing netlink. This
> never happened - ignore the possible qla4xxx case for now. If someone
> is using their tool and ours then I think it is ok. It is not a big
> deal.
>
> 1. We can remove the
> __session_login_task->session_is_running->iscsi_sysfs_for_each_session->iscsi_match_session.
> 2. I think we can also remove the iscsi_check_for_running_session call
> from update_sessions when discoveryd is used. If we just do the
> iscsi_login_portal_nowait call, the normal session_login_task check
> will figure things out like normal.
> 3. The iscsiadm iscsi_check_for_running_session calls in
> verify_node_params, delete_node, and exec_iface_op are not issues
> right? They happen pretty rarely.
>
> For the session counting checks, can we track the counts in iscsid
> too? If the login request put us over the limit, just fail it.

Thanks for the pointers. I can probably make that work with a bit of a
change, currently I think only iscsiadm is looking at nr_sessions so
that would need to be moved into iscsid.

But there may be more straightforward gains to be had in cleaning up the
sysfs code.  Every attribute read ends up in sysfs_lookup_devpath_by_subsys_id
which does a bunch of string ops and stats trying to find the device
path.  Even keeping the subsystem location general as it is, if we find
things once and remember the path for all the attribute reads it should
help a lot.

- Chris