Dain-

Do you have the data cache enabled? If so, can you disable it and see if it changes anything? I'm still guessing that this might be due to dynamic class generation, which the data cache sometimes does.

If you enable verbose logging (e.g., by setting the property "openjpa.Log: DefaultLevel=TRACE"), what are the last few log messages you see before the hang?