I'm finally getting back to this thread, sorry for the delay.

I got a similar answer from the maven mailing list. Their stance is that the
maven repository is for artifacts which are used by maven, which wouldn't be
the same as a final destination for our distribution.

I'm in favor of moving the source and binary archives to a different
location, if there's a good spot available to us.  Does anyone object to
putting the releases somewhere outside of a maven repository?

I don't think this is urgent for the 0.9.7 release since we can't get rid of
the ugly -project names now, but it might be nice to have a solution for
when OpenJPA graduates.